Friday, August 20, 2010

Special Day, Special Boy


I have Fridays off and they are usually spent cleaning the house or getting caught up on laundry. However, Keller has been coming to work with me since his Montessori school doesn't start until September 7th. I knew he was going stir crazy so I decided that we would have a special day just us two. After starting off our morning with chocolate chip pancakes we headed off to the movie theatre to watch Despicable Me in 3-D. We stopped at H-E-B to pick up a few essentials, Junior Mints, Raisinets etc. Does anyone else ever smuggle candy into the movie? I paid .99 cents for each box of candy and at the theatre it was $3.50 a box! Don't alert the movie police! After the movie we needed something else to do, that would keep us cool and entertained. The public library seemed like the perfect solution. I mentioned it to Keller and you would have thought I told him Santa was coming to town! He was so excited and that in turn made me excited. As a little girl and adult I loved to read, so I was thrilled that my son might share the same passion. When we arrived we went to the front desk and he politely exclaimed, "This is my first time at the library and I would like to check out a book, and I know I have to be quiet." The sweet lady behind the desk was happy to help my little reader and after signing up and signing his own name, Keller was the proud owner of his very own library card! He couldn't wait to get up to the 3rd floor and explore everything the Children's Department had to offer. We walked up and down the aisles in search of the perfect book. He knew he was only able to rent two books the first time, so he wanted to choose wisely. After careful consideration he chose Dino-Baseball. Then he said the sweetest thing, " I know I can pick out another book, but I really want to find one for sis. She would really like that." I love that this precious little boy stopped for a moment and thought about his little sister. He found a sweet book about fairy princesses and was very proud of his find. I left the library with a happy heart, proud of Keller for the loving brother he is and thankful for a Friday that I was able to spend with my son.

1 comment:

  1. This precious little story blesses my heart! I am so proud of my grandson and thankful that he has a mom who realizes the beauty of each special, fleeting moment. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete