Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pancakes & Papa

Don't you just love Saturday mornings? Around our house we relish in them. This Saturday was a little different as daddy wasn't in bed with us. But I wasn't alone, I woke up to two sweet , smiling babies. Even though it was a little earlier than I would have liked, how could I resist this sweet smiling face?

We got up and got around to our usual morning routine of making up the kid's "morning coffee", known in our house as "mock it milk," AKA chocolate milk . I just can't bring myself to correct Presley on the correct way to say it! It's these little things that I want to hold on to for as long as possible. Anyways, Keller has been on this pancake kick lately and this morning was no exception. So I pulled out the flour, milk, eggs etc, ready to make a fresh batch. Does anyone believe me right now? I didn't think so! More like I pulled out the BOX of complete pancake mix and added water! Who cares, right? It all tastes the same... kinda. After breakfast we got a nice surprise when the doorbell rang. My kids go nuts when the doorbell rings, like crazed little Pomeranians eagerly awaiting the visitor on the other side. This visitor was one of their favorites, it was Papa! I just love how my dad drops in on us, and I'm not being sarcastic. I love that he wants to see my kids so he makes it a point to stop by. Presley absolutely adores her Papa and every time she see him it's like the first time all over again. Not skipping a beat, he began to give Keller a hard time about something, but talking to Presley in this goofy way that he only does to her. The kids wanted their Papa to read a book, and as always he was happy to oblige. Their impromptu reading circle formed on the kitchen counter:



I just love, love, love the look on P.J's face! She's patting her Papa as if to say, "Thanks Papa for reading this book, but I still need to pose for this picture." Keller the ever serious listener didn't skip a beat, he really wanted to hear the story. It's times like these that I treasure in my heart. I am so grateful that we live in the same town as both of our kids' grandparents and visits like this are never few and far between. I couldn't think of a better example for kids. Whether they know it or not, he's teaching them life lessons with something as simple as dropping by. My kids know they have worth not only in my Daddy's eyes, but in their Heavenly Daddy's eyes as well.





"To this day, their children and grandchildren continue to do as their fathers did." 2 Kings 17:41

No comments:

Post a Comment