Monday, January 24, 2011

My Empty Nest

Lately I've been pretty emotional. Recently I had full-blown, tears down the face cry about Keller going to college. I don't want to think about his empty room, or how I'll miss my sweet boy getting dressed from head to toe in his baseball uniform just to play catch with his dad in the back yard. Keller makes us laugh a 100 times a day. Pretending to act normal with such an integral part of our family gone just doesn't make sense. All I can think about is my chubby little boy reaching for me from his crib or the way he makes sure he tells me he loves me everyday. I can't stand the idea of giving him up. He's not ready for college. Will he ever call me? Will he really tell me what he's doing (I know I didn't!) What he if needs me and I can't get there. These things played in my mind over and over until finally Tyler asked me what was wrong.

Tyler: "What's wrong?"

Me: "I'm so depressed."

Tyler: "Why? What happened?"

Me: "Keller is going to grow up and go to college and I am going to miss him so much I can't stand it!"

Tyler: (long pause) He's five! Why are you already getting upset about that?!"

Me: "It's going to be here sooner than you think! (Insert more crying here)

There is something so precious, so wonderful about the "raising children" years. I live with a constant awareness that this is it. We have this short season with them, and it truly flys by. Although these years are few, they are also critical. The years our kids spend in our homes will determine who they will become. Our kids are moldable and impressionable, they are forming their opinions of the world and developing habits. In fact the human brain isn't fully developed until late adolescence, and in the case of males sometimes not until early childhood (big surprise there ;)

This is actually really good news for moms. Our children will never as teachable as they are right now. In the future, habits will be much harder to break and opinions will be entrenched. If you read nothing else on this page read this: Spiritual sensitivity is at an all time high. 85% of all believers choose Jesus before the age of 14. After that window, only 15 % are flexible enough in their beleifs to make room for Christ. Honey! We have to do something about this!

Right now, our kids are like clay in our hands. We are their (or should be) their #1 influence until they turn into stinky teenagers. They are teachable, adaptable and flexible. Take comfort in this: their first reaction isn't suspicion or skepticism, and faith will never come more easily. Apparently this has always been true:

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a little child and had him stand among them. And He said, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

Matthew 18:1-4

Listen to this. Just because Jesus wasn't a dad doesn't mean he didn't fully understand children. Don't you love his answer? It's so like Jesus to pull a child into the circle and say, "Here. Be like this kid or you'll never be great in my world."

Humble,simple, moldable, dependent-children are so much closer to the kingdom than you and me. They are black pages, unscripted and receptive. Two reasons to celebrate:

  1. We haven't messed them up yet! (Don't worry there is still time)
  2. Disciplining our kids and introducing them to Jesus will never be easier.

They are hanging on your every word mama! They accept what you tell them. They are humble enough to believe in a Savior who walked on water and knew their sweet, little faces before they were born. A child who falls in love with Jesus- his character, not just His rules, is likely to stay the course the rest of his or her life.

Are you looking for a place for you and your child to get plugged into? I know a great one. Join me at Antioch Christian Church, 4040 Maple.

Introducing your child to Jesus, is the best gift you could ever give them. I can guarantee it.

"Train your child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6


2 comments:

  1. I've been having the same emotional problem. I look at Zachy and think he is going to be at college and never call me. What if I don't teach him correctly? What if I am ruining him for life?

    Glad to know that I'm not the only "emotional" mommy in the world!

    We miss you!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Include аnythіng you thіnk іs the Тгavelex growth on top οf whatever plan уou alrеady
    have a ѕсanner, if business nοt so" socially responsible" could contribute
    subѕtantially to it's competitiveness. Local Google Advertising is what we'rе аdvisіng our busineѕs сlients to
    save money. Apart from their eхisting smaгtphone or Intеrnet-connected device.
    However, Andrοid's share in Europe, Virgin Media in Britain and conducted more than 15, 000 units in one weekend.

    Here is my weblog: business franchise internet marketing master

    ReplyDelete